Frequently Asked Questions

Have a question?

See if you can find the answer you are looking for in our FAQs. 

Otherwise, feel free to get in touch, we will be happy to assist you with all your enquiries

Frequently Asked Questions

Would I have time to work while studying?

When studying in Australia, you can work and travel at your convenience. This is one of the many benefits Australia has to offer to international students, so you have the option to self-finance your studies and life experiences in Australia.

The time you would have to work would depend on the selected provider and your intended education program. You could either commit to attending classes once a week to 5 times a week. You can always discuss timetables and delivery modes with your education consultant to ensure you get all information from the beginning and benefit from an accurate work-life balance. However, remember you must comply with your visa conditions, including the number of hours you are allowed to work, plus the academic progress you need to maintain.


Can I bring my partner with the student visa? What is the extra cost?

When applying for a student visa in Australia, you can declare your relationship and gain a Student Dependent Visa for your partner. The cost of this (second applicant) visa is $485. However, this applies for married or defacto couples. Few examples of the documents needed to declare the relationship, 

  1. Relationship registration Form with a National Authority or Marriage Certificate 
  2. Land ownership or Lease agreement with both names. 
  3. Utility Bills with both names.
  4. Among others. 

Please book a consultation with one of our experts to discuss further the requirements of Student Visas and Student Dependant Visas. 

Can I bring my children with a student visa? What is the cost?

You can bring your children with your student visa if they are 17 years old or less. The cost will be $160 per dependant under 18 years of age.

If, on the contrary, your kid(s) is (are) 18+ years, they will need to apply for a student visa if they intend to travel to Australia with you.

Documents required to lodge with the visa are,

  • Passport
  • Birth certificate
  • Form 1229 Filled by Parents
  • Depending on the age, school transcript from home country
  • Depending on the age, the International English Proficiency test is required.
Are my studies going to lead me toward PR?

Some courses will help you undertake occupations listed on the skilled migration list. Still, no such course will lead you to Permanent Residency in Australia without your personal input and expertise. You will always be required to meet the occupational demand, English proficiency level, and experience.

Please advise your consultant if you would like to assess your Migration Opportunities further. They would be happy to contact you with one of our partner Migration lawyers and agents. An extra benefit you will get as LinAs member!

Can I apply for 485 graduate work visas after a vocational course?

If you studied a vocational course, you could apply for a 485 visa (graduate Stream) under certain circumstances. 

Your education program (independent course or packaged courses) took place over two consecutive years, and the undertaken occupation is listed on the skilled migration list. In this case, the visa will be granted for 18 months. 

***Temporarily, 485 visas are indistinctively granted for two years for both, Vocational and higher education sectors. Suppose the graduation date is between 1 January 2022 to 30 June 2023, and the student has taken 2 consecutive years of education in Australia. In that case, they are now entitled of the 485-visa benefit without the need to match the migration list. Please book a consultation with any of our agents to assess your case and see if you are entitled to 485 visas. 

Is a 2-years vocational course enough to get a successful skills assessment?

Most of our education providers have their courses and programs accredited by their regulatory body. Therefore, you either graduate with the skill assessment by default or are ready to successfully get it done with the respective authority.

Can I study online while living in another city/state?

Depending on the program you are pursuing and the facilities of your selected provider, you will be able to enrol in remote (online) learning for the length of your studies.

Please note that most of our providers now offer online, face-to-face and blended delivery modes to ensure everyone gets the desirable learning experience while in Australia.

How much are agency fees?

LinAs does not charge agency fees and offers a free consultation with industrial experts. A fully refundable deposit fee* will be required to commence the process. 

***This deposit is used towards paying your initial tuition fees.

What if my visa is rejected? Will I lose all my money?

We will assist you with the subsequent refund process if your student visa is rejected. This applies to health insurance and academic providers, as visa fees are not refundable in case of rejection. Please double-check your offer letter for further information about your selected provider's refund policies.

What are the chances of getting my visa granted?

Follow LinAs' Migration partners' advice and submit the detailed documentation with a strong GTE letter and sufficient financial capacity. Thus, you will have a higher chance of getting your student visa granted. Remember, our expertise it's your success!

What if my visa process is taking longer, and I will not make it to the course start date?

Suppose your visa is left under further assessment for a lengthy period, and you won't be able to travel for the intake date. In this case, your education consultant will contact your selected provider and defer your intake date. Thus, you will gain time to sort your visa and arrive in Australia without any inconvenience to start your course on time.

Can I apply for a student visa while on a bridging visa?

Unfortunately, you can't apply for a student visa once another visa is assessed. In this case, you will be required to either wait until a decision is made or withdraw the application to lodge a new (student) visa application.

Can I cancel my studies when I apply for another visa?

If you are In Australia and intend to apply for a different visa, such as employment sponsor or partner, you must keep the visa you have been granted until the new visa is assessed. Thus, if you hold a student visa, you must not cancel your studies and maintain your study level and attendance until the new visa is granted. Otherwise, if you cancel your COE, your student visa will no longer be valid; therefore, you are immediately in a migration breach.

How many student visas can I have?

There is not such a total number of student visas someone can get. If you can prove you are a genuine student and that each pursued course is improving your career and levelling your professional profile, there should be no issue.

If, on the contrary, you aim to pursue multiple certificates or diplomas within different areas of knowledge, you might need to reconsider your education program in Australia. Ideally, you will upskill yourself within the extra level of expertise, such as Certificate, Diploma, Advanced Diploma, Bachelor's, Graduate Diploma, Master and PHD, to avoid complications with your visas.

Can I take a vocational course if I have an overseas bachelor's or master's degree?

Yes, you can pursue a vocational course in Australia after completing a higher degree abroad. Feel free to talk in-depth with your consultant about how to write your GTE. You will only be required to provide solid arguments about how this course will benefit your professional profile and long-term career goals.

Refund policy when the process is terminated.

Suppose you desist from studying in Australia and have already made all payments. LinAs Accounting team will assist you in getting refunds from the education provider and the Health Insurance. Please be aware the refundable percentage varies between providers, and it is all detailed in the offer letter you should have received and signed before making any payment. Make sure you revise your offer letter for further information about the refund process followed by your selected provider.

Unfortunately, Visa fees are not refundable. Under exceptional circumstances, such as students who couldn't complete the course within the original visa validity because of the impacts of COVID-19 and students who arrived from Feb 2022 to March 2022, they are entitled to get their visa fee waived.

Explanation of OSHC price difference for singles and couples. Why such a big difference?

OSHC prices are set based on local guidelines, estimating the additional costs and services that might arise for family units and couples. However, there will not be a difference in the quality of service per se.

Lebara SIM card - Cost and what's Included?

Our members can purchase Lebara SIM Cards from our Offices. These are pre-paid SIM Card ($2) where International students can get the most value for money. For only $30 you can get:

  • 35GB + 35 GB Activation Bonus of mobile data
  • Unlimited standard national calls in Australia to mobiles and fixed lines
  • Unlimited calls to 13, 1300 and 18 numbers
  • Unlimited calls to voicemail
  • Unlimited standard national SMS and MMS
  • Unlimited standard fixed and mobile calls to Argentina, Brazil, Cambodia, Canada, Chile, China, Colombia, France (Fixed only), Germany, Guam, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, India, Indonesia, Ireland, Japan, Korea South, Malaysia, Malta, Mexico, New Zealand, Norway, Peru, Puerto Rico, Romania, Singapore, Slovenia, Sweden Taiwan (Fixed only), Thailand, United Kingdom, United States, Venezuela, Vietnam. 
  • Unlimited standard text to Argentina, Austria, Bangladesh, Brazil, Brunei Darussalam, Canada, Cambodia, Chile, China, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, French Guiana, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, India, Indonesia, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Korea South, Luxembourg, Malaysia, Malta, Mexico, Mongolia, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Pakistan, Paraguay, Peru, Poland, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Reunion, Romania, Russia, Singapore, Slovakia, South Korea, Spain, Sri Lanka, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, Thailand, United Kingdom, United States, Venezuela, and Vietnam
GTE recommendations. The main tips on how to write it.

The Genuine Temporary Entrant, also known as GTE, is an introductory letter students need to attach to support their visa application. In this letter, students explain their intentions to study in Australia, the course and college they have selected, funding sources and their ties with their home country. This document is, on average, two pages long, and the information to address is as follows, 

  1. Introduce yourself, including your academic and professional background. What is the personal and professional implication of studying abroad? 
  2. Explain your circumstances in your home country. What are your home ties? What are your obligations in your home country? Do you have any possession or commitments that require your presence? Where is your family residing? 
  3. Explain why you have chosen the specific education provider and the course you aim to pursue. Proof you have done the research. What are the subjects you would be studying? Does the course relate to anything you have previously studied? What is good about this provider? What is the value of studying in Australia vs your home country? Is this course offered there? Why Australia? Why this course? Why this provider? 
  4.  Introduce the industry and the possible job openings you will get. What is the future value of the course to you? What is the implication in your current salary? Be realistic and use facts, such as updated market openings.
  5. Explain your Migration History
  6. Address how you will finance your education and living expenses in Australia 

Make sure you provide supporting evidence for what you wrote. This might include 

  • Letters of reference from employers
  • Evidence you can support yourself financially in Australia
  • Previous education documents
  • Enrollment or Application forms into another course
  • Evidence of property ownership in your home country
  • Evidence of business ownership in your home country
  • Return tickets out of Australia
How to write an Australian-style resume
  1. Keep it brief and simple. 
  2. Include your personal details. 
  3. Indicate your career profile. 
  4. Summarise your key skills. 
  5. Detail your work experience.
  6. Include your education and qualifications.
  7. Introduce any extra-curricular or informal activities if they add to the job opening you are applying for
Can I bring my dog to Australia?

Cats and dogs can be imported to Australia under strict conditions designed​ to manage biosecurity risks. Thus, countries are classified into three groups. Depending on the designated group, you might be able to import your cat or dog directly or via an approved country. Due to the variety of procedures and conditions, we advise all our members to revise the step-by-step guide applicable to their particular location as well as the fees that might apply to each case. 

Quarantine facility and fees

 Fees for cat and dog import permit applications


Contact us whenever you
have additional questions